Grenade scare clears Kingsport gas station

Rain Smith • Nov 6, 2019 at 3:03 PM

The blotter is derived from recent incident reports and central dispatch records of local police agencies.

Kingsport Police Department

Nov. 2

In response to a disturbance on Kinsler Avenue, police found a female resident angry at a man for bringing marijuana into their home. Consent was granted to search for the marijuana, leading to the discovery of a 10-ounce bag in the basement. The man was then arrested on drug charges.

Nov. 3

The clerk at a North Eastman Road gas station alerted police to a man passed out in a car for more than an hour. An officer awoke the suspect, spotted an open alcohol bottle on the center console, and detected the odor of marijuana. When asked to step from the vehicle, the suspect reached for a firearm in the driver’s side door. The lone officer held him at gunpoint until backup arrived, then the man was arrested on several charges.

Nov. 4

Police were alerted to a suspicious man “walking around inside the library with a knife in his hand.” A responding officer found the suspect at nearby Church Circle, where he was waving the weapon “randomly in the air, and then stabbing the ground.” Following multiple verbal orders, the homeless man lay down and was taken into custody. He was then jailed for disorderly conduct.

Nov. 5

An embezzlement complaint was filed at a city fast food restaurant, as two female employees are suspected of stealing $7,000 during October.

Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office

Nov. 3

— At Mary Hughes School in Piney Flats, fire extinguishers were stolen from five school buses. One of the buses required cleaning due to an extinguisher being discharged inside it.

— At the BP station on North John B. Dennis Highway, a deputy was approached by a man carrying a hand grenade inside a cardboard box. The 62-year-old advised a friend — who is on probation and he doesn’t want to get in trouble — had given him the explosive, but he didn’t know what to do with it. The officer moved the box away from the gas pumps, and civilians were cleared from the area. The Kingsport Police Department bomb squad responded, determined the grenade was real, then took it to an undisclosed area to be destroyed. Subsequent investigation revealed a possible ID for the original grenade owner.